Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Last Night's Pie

Last night we had a guest coming for supper, and ya'll know I can't let someone end a meal without something sweet.  It cleanses the pallet, so to speak.  Before I tell you how I made this pie, I must tell you about the pork loin I made for supper.  For me, there are two cuts of meat that are considered treats: roasts and pork loins.  I call them treats because they are rarely in our budget [not to mention chicken breasts or steaks].  But when I found a 7lb pork loin for a few cents more than $10 last week, I had to snatch it up.  I either make some kind of BBQ version in the crockpot or a mustard & herb version in the oven when I fix this cut of meat.  I wanted to try something new so I moseyed on over to my favorite site for dinner inspiration: Mel's Kitchen Cafe.  There I found her recipe for Brown Sugar Spiced Pork Loin. It sounds kind of odd, but it was soooo good!

Ok, back to the pie.  With a shrieking 3 month old on my hip, I had to come up with something quick that didn't require a lot of work or a trip to the store.  A couple weeks ago I made some shortbread cookies and froze half the dough.  So I thawed it during the day in the fridge.  When I was ready to make the pie, I pressed it into my tart pan and baked it for abou 15 minutes at 350.  As that cooled, I beat up some fresh whipped cream, sweetened with about a tablespoon of powdered sugar.  Then I folded in some [Kroger brand] crunchy hazelnut spread. Yes, I said crunchy.  It tastes like the filling in those fancy ferrero rocher candies that I don't know how to spell.   I spread it on top of the crust and drizzled melted milk chocolate on top to serve.  Yum! 

No comments:

Post a Comment