Sunday, February 13, 2011

Microwaved Cupcakes

Sometimes you just need a sweet treat.  And sometimes you want it now.  I'm not promising that these are the best cupcakes you'll ever eat, but I am promising that it will satisfy a chocolate craving in a hurry.  I saw a recipe for microwaved cupcakes on Paula Deen's website, but didn't really like all the ingredients.  So here's my take on it.  Five minutes from the mixing bowl to your plate, I promise.

Ingredients:
2 tbsp All-purpose flour
2 tbsp sweetener [sucanat, brown sugar, white sugar, perhaps maple syrup?]
5 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp instant espresso powder [I always add this to anything chocolate, and so should you]
5 tsp milk
2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 egg, whipped
Prepared whipped cream for the topping

Directions:
Whisk together all of the dry ingredients.  Then add in the milk, butter, and egg.  Combine but don't overmix.  Divide evenly into lightly oiled silicone cupcake cups or glass ramekins.  I used the latter because that's what I have.  Microwave for 30 seconds.  Check and see if they spring back when you touch them; if they don't microwave another 30 seconds.  Mine went for two rounds [60 seconds], but you never know.  I flipped my cakes over on a plate, but if you use silicone cups feel free to leave them in that.  I let them cool [for about 5 seconds!] and then topped them with whipped cream and cocoa powder.

Don't have any whipped cream???  You could just dust some powdered sugar on top, or drizzle with melted chocolate and fresh raspberries.  The options are limitless and it's really up to your tastes.  But seriously, every good cook should have some heavy cream in their icebox for just such an occassion.  If you don't know how to make whipped cream....just pour some into a bowl that you've had in the freezer for a few minutes and whip it into submission.  Add in a tablespoon or so of sugar if you want before you finish whippping it.  It's done when you've got stiff peaks.  You'll know you went too far when you get butter....but that's not really a problem.  ;)

I would say that the texture of these is more like sponge cakes.  Justin said he thought they were "gummy"...just a fair warning.  I loved them, and I'm betting you will, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment