Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies with Dark Chocolate Chunks

Sometimes when you just feel like living on the edge and going without a recipe, you end up with something golden.  That's what happened here. 

Ingredients:
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temp
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup all natural peanut butter [I like chunky]
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups whole oats
3 oz. good quality dark chocolate, roughly chopped

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, soda, and cinnamon.  In another bowl, use your mixer to combine the butter and sugar until it's light and fluffy.  Then add in the egg, followed by the peanut butter and vanilla.  Lastly, add in the oats and you're ready to bake!

I baked mine on a silpat to keep them from sticking or getting too brown on the bottom.  If you don't have one [although you really should invest in one], just use parchment paper or a lightly oiled baking sheet.  I used a large cookie scoop, as always, and baked these at 350 for about 12 minutes.  You can adjust the baking time according to the size you make your cookies.  When they came out of the oven, I let them sit on the baking sheet for a couple minutes just so they wouldn't fall apart when transporting them to the cooling rack.

Let me just say that I made these cookies on Friday and on Sunday I made them again because we were having company.  The second time, though, I didn't add chocolate and...I actually like them better.  Here's what those looked like:
These cookies stayed chewy for the couple of days that they lasted around our house.  I think these are pretty wholesome and even suitable for breakfast.  Try them some time!

No comments:

Post a Comment