Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Happy First Birthday!

Our little pumpkin had her first birthday on Sunday! What a difference a year makes.

I always heard people say that when you have kids time will really fly, and that is so true. This has been the fastest year of my life. Maybe it's because everything seemed to take forever when I was pregnant. I was going through photos from the last year [which are so NOT organized] for her birthday slideshow and I was looking at some from about 5 months ago thinking that it had just happened. I suspect that will happen a lot for the rest of my life.
 
We've learned a lot in the last year. I've learned that I'm the mommy and I know best, with daddy at a close second. No one else's opinions really matter. I've learned that sometimes you have to hurt other peoples' feelings to put your child first. When someone tells you to put a needle in your NIPPLE [of all places] to help the milk come out, they probably won't have any other helpful advice and you should not talk to them. I've learned the night goes a lot better when she sleeps with us. Most of all I've learned that I really don't know anything at all and the only thing that can sustain me is seeking the Lord's guidance in parenting.
 
The first few days that we had Kathryn home, I cried a lot. I was overcome with emotion, gratitude, and love. The weight of her tiny life just crushed me. Things are a lot easier now, though, and thankfully I don't cry as much.
 
Being a mom is the best thing ever. We've had hard times, sure. There were the dark days when she wouldn't take naps or sleep more than 5 or 6 hours at night [and certainly not without waking often]. There are the times, still, when she wakes e.v.e.r.y.h.o.u.r because her teeth hurt. The early days when she needed to eat every 20 minutes and I felt like a dairy cow. I didn't even wear a shirt, just my robe. But then there are the times she gives kisses, laughs, and helps me with the laundry that are so much fun. I wouldn't trade a second of this life for anything else.
 
So here's the stats:
According to my calculations, she's 18.6 lbs and 29 inches long.
 
She spent her eleventh month learning to walk. She's moved on to running.
 
She will eat anything, especially if it's on someone else's plate.
 
The dog is her best friend.
 
She has 4 teeth and more on the way. Remind me to buy more ibuprofen. For me, not her.
 
She is trying to use a sippy cup for water but can't quite figure it out. She's good with a cup, but still nurses 12-15 times a day. We love breastfeeding in this house.
 
Here are a couple pictures from her party.

Happy birthday, baby. Mommy and Daddy love you more.
 





No comments:

Post a Comment