Monday, January 16, 2012

Something new: Maple Pork Loin

Ok friends, I've got something new for you to try.  Who doesn't love a nice slow cooked piece of meat?  I'm talking, cooked so long that it is literally falling apart.  Even better than that, you just throw it in the crockpot and forget about it til supper!  In this season of life, literally and figuratively, I can think of nothing better than a slow-cooked meal.  I don't have any pictures, but I hope you can "see" how good this is and be inspired for a different way to make pork.

Ingredients:
1 pork loin [well, 2 since that's what comes in a pack---mine was a toal of 3lbs]
3/4 c maple syrup
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 c orange juice
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp each of: ancho chile powder, chipotle chile powder, ginger
1 tsp paprika

Directions:
Salt and pepper each side of the loins and place in your slow cooker.  In a small saucepan, heat the maple syrup and butter until it's melted.  Then add in the orange juice and spices and stir until combined.  Finally, just pour it in the slow cooker, pop the lid on, and cook on high for 4 hours.  When you open the lid you will be greeted with tender and juicy, sweet [but not too sweet] and slightly spicy pork. 

I served it with sweet potatoes and spinach, and we're having it as tacos tonight.  I based this recipe off of a few different ones I'd seen online.  It seems I always make either BBQ or herb crusted pork and I just wanted to try something different.  You can play around with the spices depending on what you have on hand.  The addition of a sliced onion would be grand, but we forgot to get those at the store this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment