Friday, October 15, 2010

Butternut Squash Apple Soup

adapted from the Barefoot Contessa


Ingredients:
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cups chopped yellow onion [I used purple because that's what I like]
1 tbsp mild curry powder
1 large butternut squash
2 sweet apples, your choice
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup apple cider or apple juice

Directions:
First, you have to decide what you're going to do with the squash.  You can just peel it, chop it up, and throw it in the soup.  But the best way to do it is to roast it.  Cut it in half, brush some olive oil on and sprinkle on some kosher salt.  Put it in a 450 degree oven for about 30 minutes.  Then you can just spoon it out.


While the squash is cooling, heat the butter and olive oil in a large pot.  Add in the onions and slowly cook until they are nice and sugary brown.  Then you can toss in the curry powder and stir until the onions are completely coated.  I also added some already roasted sweet potatoes and carrots.  When the onions are ready, add in the squash and diced apples.  Add the salt and pepper and then stir everybody together.  Then stir in the chicken stock and apple juice.  Slowly simmer for about 20 minutes.  Then take it off the heat and either blend in your blender or take the easy way out and use your immersion blender.  I always like the opportunity to use my immersion blender; I think it's my favorite kitchen tool.

So...this a pretty weird soup, don't you think?  For us, we thought perhaps it would serve a better purpose as a base on our plate, topped with a nice piece of fish.  Or maybe even a fusion curry, served with rice and chicken.  Altogether, it's a strange combination that I think just needs something

Perhaps bacon.  Everything's better with bacon.

If you decide to try this, let me know what you think.  I, on the other hand, will be trying to figure out what to do with all this leftover soup.


1 comment: