Sunday, July 10, 2011

My First Wedding


On June 30 I had the opportunity to provide the wedding cupcakes/cake for the wedding of some friends.

 
The wedding was held in beautiful White Hall, located in Louisville, KY.



There were 3 flavors of cupcakes: vanilla with vanilla buttercream, topped with sugar pearls, mocha with vanilla buttercream, topped with a chocolate covered espresso bean, and of course red velvet, topped with red velvet cake crumbs.  The cake was an 8x8 3 layer chocolate cake with simple dots piped along the lines and a few sugar pearls around the edges.  We had to round up some artificial flowers to put on the top due to the lack of anything else, but it ended up looking ok.



It was a great experience, but definitely a bit too much for being as pregnant as I am.  It always feels great to get in the kitchen and create something that people will enjoy, but the ugly side of baking for others is the perfectionist inside of me.  I worried that the bride's mom wouldn't like the way they looked. I worried that even though I've made these recipes a hundred times that they wouldn't turn out right.  And of course, I worried the entire hour and a half drive with these all packed in my trunk in the middle of the summer heat.  Fortunately, we only lost a few cupcakes and I had a piping bag and an offset spatula with me to correct the few problems we had.  I now understand why most bakeries will only deliver within a 10-15 mile radius!  I had great boxes with inserts to stabilize the cupcakes, but they weren't perfect.  I spoke with the bride and groom this morning and they told me that they had heard many people say that they were the best cupcakes they'd ever eaten.  Even though I can pick at the tiny imperfections that I see, I can't argue with that statement.  I was very pleased and look forward to the next time I get to do this.



It was a smash!

No comments:

Post a Comment