Thursday, July 7, 2011

Ode to Lattes



What is it about lattes that is so darn wonderful

I woke up this morning wanting one.  I pleaded on twitter for someone to bring me one.  Even if someone had obliged, there's no place around here to get one unless you make it yourself. 

What kind of coffee drinker are you?


Let's start with the beans.  We buy ours from a local roaster and grind them just before brewing.  We don't use a regular coffee pot.  I have in the past, and will when we have company, but I prefer my French press.  That way I use no electricity [except to boil the water] and it makes the coffee very hot.  Of course, always use filtered water in whatever coffee brewing method you desire.

I don't have an espresso machine.  I just pour about a half cup of coffee, add in some raw sugar and steamed milk.  I "steam" the milk by heating it on the stove and using my emersion blender frother attachment to get foam.  But you can also do this with a whisk.  No special equipment needed, really.  Then you can sprinkle it with cinnamon or cocoa and feel very fancy as you sit in your chair in your pjs-- even it is 11am. 

I think my favorite part about lattes is the foam.  I do not like dry foam.  It needs to be heavy and wet.  I used to work at Starbucks so I figured out how I like things.  :)  The foam is like its little hat, keeping all the heat in. 

I like iced lattes too, but that one I haven't been able to do at home.  I do not like iced coffee.  Justin keeps a pitcher in the fridge for himself but I just do. not. like. it. 

It's currently 83 degrees-- "feels like 88 degrees" with 72% humidity.  Not exactly coffee drinking weather.  But you should know that I'm in my favorite sweatpants [that still fit...] and a long-sleeved shirt sitting here with my latte.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment