Saturday, July 24, 2010

Al Gore and Spice Cake



What in the world is going on?  Did Al Gore mess with the global temperature again? Last night at 7:45 the heat index was 99 degrees here in central KY.  TOO HOT!  Disclaimer: I never have and never will enjoy any temperature over 80, and that's being generous.  I think I need to live in the extreme northwest, but that's another story for another day.
I know it's July and it's supposed to be hot, but enough already.  I started out with the hot and humid stuff way back in April when I was still living in Atlanta.  So technically I've surpassed the dog days of summer. 
My favorite time of year by far is October through early May.  The rest can go, as far as I'm concerned.  Except of course for our anniversay and my birthday, which are both coming up in August.  But I digress. 
Last night I was really longing for the joys of autumn.  Crisp leaves under my feat, vibrant orange and red ones on the trees.  Sitting by the fireplace [that we don't have] drinking cider...it can't come soon enough. 
I set the mood by lighting this candle:

And then I made this:


Zucchini Sweet Potato Bread
Bon Appetit Magazine circa 1992
This recipe is a healthful alternative to theirs.

Ingredients:
2 cups flour [I used white whole wheat, but you can use whatever you want]
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups sugar [I used 1 c white, 1 c brown]
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vaninlla
1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
1 1/2 cups shredded sweet potato

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350.  Spray 2 loaf pans, because this recipe makes 2.  You can eat one and give another one to your neighbor.  Or freeze one.  Or eat one before your husband gets home so he thinks you made it just for him.
In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Like so.

See all the spicy goodness?  Next, in a large bowl, whisk together the white and brown sugars, applesauce, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla.  Add in the shredded veg.

Then just add in the dry ingredients and stir just to combine.  At this point, you could fold in some walnuts or dried cranberries.  I just didn't happen to have any on hand.  Now just divide your batter between the 2 loaf pans and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes.  Let them cool in the pans for about 15 minutes and then put on a rack to cool completely.

This cake is veeeerrrrry moist. It is really good with coffee or hot tea.  And if you're me, you can smear it with this treasure you found at the Amish store.

Well, I guess I'm going to have to wait a few more weeks for cooler temperatures.  Until then I'll keep enjoying the bounty of summer.  But isn't nutmeg just the best?

2 comments:

  1. I found another Amish store that I think you would really like. Its a little far away (in Casey County), but it may be worth the drive. I'll have to give you directions if your interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it Nolt's? I haven't been there in a few years, but it's a great place. I'm planning to get up there in the next week or so to get some chickens. Dead and plucked, of course.

    ReplyDelete