Monday, July 26, 2010

Life, Love, and Mocha Silk Pie



Who doesn't love pie?  Apple, blueberry, coconut cream--you name it, somebody loves it.  I haven't made too many pies in my day.  I don't know why, I just haven't.  People are into layer cakes, fancy cookies, and the ever popular high-maintenance cupcake.  I don't get a lot of request for pies, and frankly I don't mind because making pie crust is a lot of work!  However, in an effort to preserve the nostalgia of pie, I vow to become a better and more seasoned pie maker.  Last week I made this:



Mocha Silk Pie.  All credit goes to The Pioneer Woman.  I have wanted to make this ever since I found the recipe here, but it calls for Kahlua and you can't buy that stuff around these parts.  So I just left it out and added melted butter in its place.  It seemed to work out just fine.  I made a couple of other changes from the original recipe as well.  Note: this pie contains raw eggs.  Don't make this or eat this if you have a problem with that. 

For the crust you will need:
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 oz, weight, Semisweet [Baker's] chocolate, grated
2 Tbsp melted butter
Scant pinch of kosher salt

Just go to town chopping those nuts until they're pretty fine.  Not pulverized, just finely chopped.  Put them in a bowl with the brown sugar and the grated chocolate.  I like to use Baker's chocolate for these kinds of things because it's already measured into 1 oz. segments.  Then add the melted butter after it's had a chance to cool so you don't melt the chocolate.  Use a fork to get it all combined and then press it into the bottom of your crust.  It will look like this:



Put it in the fridge to set while you make the filling.  It'll be just fine in there. 

For the filling:
2 sticks room temperature butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp instant espresso
3 oz, weight, semisweet [Baker's] chocolate
1 tsp vanilla
4 whole large eggs

First you'll need to melt the chocolate in the microwave for about 45 seconds [or in a double boiler] and let it cool while you're doing the rest.  Cream the heck out of the butter and sugar.  After that, add in the vanilla and espresso. Once the chocolate is cooled, get all of it into the bowl of your mixer and let it go until just combined.

Here's the fun part.  With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs one at a time over a 20 minute period.  You heard me.  Put one egg in and let it go for 5 minutes.  Then add another, and so on.  Set your timer and do something productive like unloading the dishwasher until it's time to add the next egg.  When you're done you'll havea creamy-dreamy filling for your crust.  I ended up with enough filling for 2 pies so I just whipped up another crust and delivered the second pie to a friend.

This pie will taste better as it sets up in the fridge.  I recommend at least 3 hours.  I would imagine it would be even better frozen, topped with fresh whipped cream and perhaps even more chocolate.  It doesn't seem like the 2 teaspoons of instant espresso is enough at first but believe me, this pie is the perfect mixture of coffee and chocolate.  Let me know what you think!  I hope you'll try it out. 





No comments:

Post a Comment