Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Militant Muffins

Ok, so there's really nothing militant about this post, but it is eye-catching, isn't it?  I'm willing to be that if you're reading this it's probably because I put that word in the title.  I'm glad you're here!
There may have been a little hostility in my kitchen this morning, though.  See, I had to make this apple pie last night for someone's birthday.  Let me start out by saying that in general, when I bake for someone I don't have much of a desire to eat it.  Whether it's cookies, cake, or bread, I'm ok without a sample.  I'll do a little taste test to make sure it turned out right, but I don't sit around foaming at the mouth because I need to eat it.  Apple pie, however, is different.  Apple pie is the stuff of dreams.  Apple pie is...American, summer [but also fall], and comfort all baked up into a lovely pillow of deliciousness.  And apple pie is not something that can be sampled before delivered to said person.  That presents a two-fold problem.  First, I have no idea if it turned out right.  Sure, it looks nice enough, but what if the apples aren't tender?  What if the crust is soggy?  I guess I'll never know.  I'm pretty sure the person for whom the pie was made would never say anything.  So here it is, my pie, just out there for all the world to see...err, taste. 

The second problem is that because I could not sample this pie, I was feeling kind of deprived.  I've already got the short end of the stick due to my newly found no-carb lifestyle [more on that later].  So this morning when I woke up [well, after the pie was delivered] I decided to do something about it.  It just isn't normal to go days and days without carbs.  I think it causes brain damage. 

Let me start out by saying that today is my favorite kind of day.  It's cooler, and it's pouring down rain. 


This is the view from my desk, aka the kitchen table.  The weather promises to be consistently soggy, which is just right for me.  I know it's weird, go ahead and send your rolling eyes my way.  Due to my deprivation, I decided to make muffins.  I thought to myself, "It's ok.  I'll just work out later."  However, I realized that our treadmill is still in shrinkwrap in the guest room.  So instead of making the maple-y, buttery, pecan-y muffins of my dreams, I went with these.



Blueberry Muffins, the "Right" Way

These muffins are surprisingly moist and delicious. I say this with the utmost respect and admiration for butter and fat. These are the kind of muffins that make you feel good about yourself and your morning. They’re whole grain, oat filled and fruit studded.




Makes 12-15 muffins
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tbsp canola oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)



Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper cases or spray with nonstick cooking spray.


In a large bowl combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a medium bowl combine applesauce, buttermilk, vanilla, sugar, oil and egg. Make a well in dry ingredients and add applesauce mixture. Stir until just moist. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.  Just for kicks, top the muffins with a sprinkle of brown sugar or turbinado sugar for a little homey touch.
Bake for 16-18 minutes.



2 comments:

  1. OMG--I love your blog! I stumbled upon it while reading Pioneer Woman comments, and I'm so glad that I did!

    Keep up the great work--looking forward to reading more!

    Darcy
    The Chic College Cowgirl
    http://chiccollegecowgirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. your apple pie looked so bomb-diggity!

    ReplyDelete