Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The best chocolate chip cookies you will ever eat. Period.

Hi ya'll.  I wish I could post a drool-inducing photo of these cookies, but they don't stick around long enough for me to ever photograph them.  I'm making them this afternoon to take to Justin's sick grandfather, so I thought I'd post the recipe for you.  The recipe comes from Sir Alton Brown.  Incidentally, he attended the same church as we did in Atlanta but I was never brave enough to speak to him.  If I had discovered this recipe sooner, I would have groveled at his feet right there in front of God and everyone in the sanctuary.

Ingredients:
2 sticks unsalted butter
2 1/4 cup bread flour
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup white sugar
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
1 whole egg
1 egg yolk
2 Tbsp milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 375.  Place a silpat or parchment paper onto your baking sheet. 
Melt butter over low heat.  While that's happening, sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda; set aside.  Pour melted butter into the mixer's work bowl.  Add the sugars and cream together.  Then add the egg, the yolk, milk, and vanilla.  Mix well until combined.  Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until combined.  Stir in the chocolate chips.  Chill for about 30 minutes and scoop onto baking sheets.  I do 6 per sheet because I like big fat cookies.  Bake for 14 minutes, rotating halfway through. 

Note:
If I'm making them just for my family, I'll only make 6 at a time.  You can flash freeze pre-scooped cookies on a baking sheet and then store in a freezer bag for about 3 months.  Or, you can be lazy like me and just wrap the dough in wax paper into a log shape.  Then, slice and bake when the need for cookies arises!  In my experience, the first bake is often very pillowy while the after-it-was-frozen cookies are a tad flatter.  BUT, they always stay CHEWY in the middle!!!

1 comment:

  1. can't wait to try these! i need a "best chocolate chip cookie i will ever eat" recipe. i've been severely let down by my last few efforts.

    ReplyDelete