Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Chicken Curry in a Hurry

I must preface this post by informing you that I've never eaten curry.  I've had it in that old-fashioned chicken and broccoli casserole, but never Indian curry.  I just haven't had the opportunity to eat in an Indian restaurant.  However, for some reason, I woke up today and just needed to have it.  How could I prepare a meal when I've never even tasted it?  What was the texture like?  How long should I cook it?  I decided to put these questions behind me and do a little research.  Curry is so complex and interesting, using ingredients like fresh ginger and coconut milk.  Since I live in a small town with limited access to foreign ingredients, I had to ad lib.  Here's my version; it serves 2.


Ingredients:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Brown rice
Sour cream
Red onion
Curry
Ground ginger
Flour
Salt and pepper to taste


You could realistically make this meal in about 20 minutes if you already have brown rice cooked.  I didn't, so I just put a pot on the stove while I straightened up my cabinets.  I make my rice with a ratio of 1 cup of rice to 1 1/2 cups chicken broth.  First, I rinse the rice and when the broth begins to boil, I toss in the rice, cover, and simmer for about 45 minutes.
Put about a tablespoon of oil [your choice] and a tablespoon of butter in the bottom of your pan.  Put the onion in to saute on low.  Now for the chicken.  Cut it into chunks and then sprinkle on some salt, pepper, curry, and ground ginger.  Put the chicken into the pan with the onions and cook slowly. When the chicken is almost cooked thoroughly, spoon in about 3/4 cup sour cream.  Slowly stir it in and then add about 3 teaspoons of curry and 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger.  You can season it to your taste.  I added in 2 tablespoons of whole wheat flour to thicken the sauce.    When you can see that the miexture has thicken, turn off the heat.  Serve over rice with a side of steamed broccoli, and I'd call that a pretty balanced meal! 


How do you like your curry?

No comments:

Post a Comment