Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Nice girls keep their cookies in a jar

Do you have a cookie jar?  I don't.  I always wondered if the cookies would get stale.  Also, if I had a cookie jar, I would eat cookies all the time and frankly, I don't need that kind of temptation in my life.  However, if you have a cookie jar I won't judge you.  I will only say that you should fill your jar with Dorie [cue angelic choir] Greenspan's Chocolate Oatmeal Drops.  This recipe along with a great many others can be found in her book, Baking From My Home to Yours.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 sticks butter, unsalted
1 Tbsp water
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
9 oz. bitter sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.

Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and cinnamon.
Set a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Put the butter in the bowl and add the water, then the brown sugar and the chocolate.
This is 9 ounces of chocolate.

This is what it looks like after it's been chopped to smithereens.

Here's everybody in the pool.

Melt on low heat, stirring occasionally. The mixture does get smooth but it stays kind of grainy.  See, smooth but grainy.

Remove from the heat and whisk in the eggs, one at a time. Whisk in the dry ingredients, then the oats. Try not to stir it too much, though.

It's thick and kind of hard to mix, but be thankful you don't have to wash your KitchenAid.

Drop by tablespoonfuls on to your Sil-Pat or parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for about 12 minutes.  After they bake, let them cool on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes.  Place on a cooling rack to come to room temperature before storing.

This recipe makes about 50 cookies.  Sometimes I wish my cookies came out looking more uniform, but they never do.  These are particularly lumpy and rustic.  But that's just fine. I consider myself lumpy and rustic from time to time. Being lumpy and rustic is juuuuust fiiiiiine.

Next time I'm going to substitute coconut for the oats and see what happens.  These cookies are great with milk or coffee.  Because the chocolate isn't sweetened much at all, the complexity of the flavor of the cocoa itself really shines in this cookie, with the slightest hint of cinnamon.  Also, the center stays kind of chewy so that's always a win in my book.  These cookies were delivered to a local high school and also to a friend who had a baby over the weekend and therefore deserves to eat as much chocolate as she wants.  Enjoy, ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment