Monday, August 2, 2010

A recipe for living.

Today I spent 3 hours at a doctor's office.  Did I mention that said office is an hour and a half away?  To make matters worse, the waiting room was full of screaming children that belonged to women significantly younger than me.  I kept thinking to myself, "Are these women crazy?  Don't they know how to prevent this from happening?" I was admittedly feeling pretty judgemental.  I'm pretty sure that while I waited [1 hour and 45 minutes!] the other women were glaring right back at me.  I was just sitting there reading a cookbook, not pregnant, absent of any little munchkins hanging on me, chewing on my keys, or smearing crumbs in the chairs.  I finally got called back into the little room, I waited another hour before the doctor came in!  She then had the nerve--the nerve!--to ask if I'd been waiting too long.  Too long?  TOO LONG?  Doesn't she know how important my schedule is?  Doesn't she realize that...wait...I'm just a regular person, no different than any of the other women in that waiting room.  I didn't complain, and she was really nice anyway.  I should know from my own work experience that if you make a doctor's appointment in the middle of the day, expect to wait.  When I finally did leave, I felt a sense of satisfaction that I am not yet a parent, but remembered to leave my self-righteousness back in the examination room.  Maybe those women want all those children and I just can't understand that because I'm not a mom.  Maybe I need to remember that central Kentucky is definitely not Atlanta, and that it's normal for women to have children a lot younger outside of the urban areas of the US.  Maybe some of these women didn't plan on pregnancy either, but GOD did.  I felt myself flash a sympathetic smile towards some of the women still waiting as I left the building, ever so grateful that God hasn't given me that gift [yet]. 
After this escapade, I went to Subway where I got a sandwich, chips, and water.  Upon consumption, I promptly got sick.  That's what happens when you eat naturally as a rule and then eat something processed.  Where was my whole wheat?  Where were the organic veggies?  And, dum du dum, what about saying NO to nitrates?  Well you know what, I should have packed a snack.  I choose to be thankful for food when so many don't have it.  I choose to be grateful that I had a little money to pay for food instead of having to wait until I drove all the way home to have something to eat.  
Sometimes we just have days where things don't go the way we planned.   I didn't plan to essentially pay wait at the doctor.  I didn't plan to get a massive headache after I ate Subway.  The Bible says, "In his heart a man plans his course but the Lord determines his steps" [Proverbs 16:9].  Some days just don't turn out like we think they will.  I don't know if you're like me, but I'm a planner.  Not with everything, but I like to know ahead of time what's expected of me on a given day.  I have learned to do this in order to survive.  Most people have no idea how introverted I am, and that's because I plan.  We have to allow room for the unexpected, and that is especially hard for me.  I'm getting old [27 on Aug. 30] and I am definitely stuck in my ways.  I hope you and I will remember that sometimes what's unexpected on our side of heaven is exactly the step that God planned for our life today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment