Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Holidays

Just in case you're wondering, I'm still cooking.  In fact, my kitchen has been a well-oiled machine as of late.  Bake something, load the dishwasher, unload the dishwasher, pack up said baked good, deliver it......

We were on vacation, and then we were home.  And then Justin's grandpa died.  So we were gone again.  Funerals require lots of food.  It's how people cope.  I'm not much on the eating part, but yeah, the cooking part, that's how I help.  If something bad ever happens to you, count on me to show up with cookies and lasagna.  Actually, nothing has to happen to you at all for me to come bearing food.  But that's another story.

In the last few days, I have made homemade flour tortillas, pumpkin pie bars, cinnamon swirl bread, and applesauce.  To name a few, naturally.  I have to bake a cake for someone tonight, and I don't really want to.  My kitchen is a little ticked at me.  I've been in a hurry and haven't spent enough one-on-one time with it.  It's been all about the eaters this week.  Also, mopping needed to happen like yesterday.  I guess I'll get to that tomorrow.

In the last few days, I've been asked no less than 7 times if I'm 'ready for the holidays'.  The answer to that is a resounding NO.  And stop asking me.  It makes me feel panicky.  The expectations are high in the food category.  What if my yule logs become yule mud puddles?  What if I make 20 pumpkin rolls and only sell 12? 

It's interesting that people call it 'the holidays' when really, we westerners seem to skip right over Thanksgiving, thus making the word singular.  Of course, we westerners are really the only ones who celebrate it so I guess we can make up the rules as we go.  It seems like Thanksgiving is just a caviat for shopping and watching football.  Although, I predict that positively no one will watch the Cowboys and Lions this year. 

We always look forward to Thanksgiving.  Yes, it is exciting because Christmas is right around the corner, but I urge you to enjoy it in spite of or in addition to that fact.  Spend the next few days leading up to it being reflective.  Do something nice for someone else.  If turkey and stuffing aren't your thing, buy it for someone who needs it and make burgers instead.  That's what I'd do.  When you're making your thankful list, be serious.  Don't be thankful for all your stuff.  Well, do, but think about the things we take for granted.  Like unlimited access to clean water and electricity.  A government that protects women and children.  Healthcare.  A  society where everyone has the ability to be somebody.  Be thankful most of all that we have the ability to tell others about a Savior, and then go and do it.  When you're done being grateful for the things that matter, find a way to meet the needs of people who can't even imagine the things I've just mentioned. 

And then you can enjoy your pie.  Or milkshake.  Whatever you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment