Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Stormy weather... and peas

This morning we awakened to a torrential rain and it's been pouring ever since.  Well, except for the last few minutes.  The rain stopped but the wind has picked up, and from the radar map I can tell more is on the way.  Here's some photos I snapped whilst--ha ha, whilst!--standing in my slippers on our wet back porch.  Please ignore the fact that the houses in our neighborhood are no more than 14 feet apart.  I hope you like these, because I got my slippers all wet just so I could share them with you.



I guess the good thing is that it's about 10 degrees warmer today than it was yesterday, otherwise we'd be having sleet.  The wind is howling so I guess I should go bring my pumpkins inside!
Ok, so who likes peas?  Anyone???  Not that the above photo gives any sort of justice to the dish I am about to share, but a visual always helps.  Well, maybe not in this case.  I don't really like peas, but I don't dislike them either.  I'll pretty much eat anything except for raw onions, raw peppers, and olives.  Oh, and organ meat.  That one's probably not going to change.  Nevertheless, being always of conscious effort to add new side dishes to my repertoire, I decided to pick up a bag of frozen peas last week at the store.  Later on, I had an insatiable craving for some kind of veggie salad.  So I made this.  It sounds weird, even unappetizing at first, but trust me, it's good.  Even my husband, the arch-nemesis of peas, gobbled this up. Well, perhaps gobbled is a strong word.  He ate it without being forced, and said he "kind of" like it.  WIN!
You will need:
1 10 oz bag frozen peas, thawed but not cooked.  If you're impatient like I am, you can just microwave them and put them in the fridge to chill while you gather up everything else.  You also need 2 boiled eggs, 2 tablespoons of mayo [or Greek yogurt if you want some tang], 2 teaspoons of lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.  That's it!  Chop the eggs and then add everything together with the peas.  You can serve it cold or at room temp.  I liked it cold.  Or was it room temp?  I can't remember.  You can decide for yourself. 
Meanwhile, I'm going to continue to hunker down here but you, you should go make this pea salad.


No comments:

Post a Comment