Monday, June 13, 2011

Chicken Parmesan

Do you like chicken parmesan?  I'm not sure if I do or not, but I definitely loved this made-up version.  I've never loved marinara sauce on chicken.  I haven't ordered this dish out because of the gazillion calories it is rumored to contain.  Please don't feel bad if you happen to love this.  There are plenty of things I love with gazillions of calories that don't phase me a bit.  Like this chocolate cake.    I prefer to get my calories from desserts rather than entrees.

The husband had requested this dish awhile back and I finally got around to making it.  I found a couple of recipes online but they were a little complicated for me.  If it ain't easy, I ain't doing it.  So, I decided to make up my own way to do it.  If you'll pardon my lack of precise measurements I'd love to tell you how I did it.



I had 2 boneless skinless breasts to work with.  I could have butterflied them and still had enough for the two of us, and also reduced cooking time.  But, I'm lazy so I left them thick and had to wait a long time to eat.  I melted a couple tablespoons of butter and added in 2 cloves of mixed garlic.  That's a clove per chicken breast, if you're measuring.  [We like our garlic in this house.]  After you've seasoned each side of the breasts with salt and pepper, roll them in the melted butter/garlic mixture.  Then coat them in bread crumbs.  I used about a cup of panko that was seasoned with salt, pepper, oregano, and basil.  Then I browned each side of the chicken in a hot skillet with olive oil.  The aforementioned steps took about 5 minutes.  Next I just popped the chicken into a casserole dish, covered in marinara, and topped with lots of parmesan cheese and mozzarella.  I always have homemade marinara on hand but you can use your favorite jarred sauce.  I baked it at 350 for about 45 minutes [again, because the breasts were quite thick]. 

I just paired these with big green salads rather than pasta.  This was a cinch to put together and my husband was very impressed.  It's definitely a "wow" meal you can serve to your guests.  Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment