Friday, August 5, 2011

Can you help?

Yesterday in the town we live in, something happened with a water pipe something-or-other that resulted in a boil water advisory through tomorrow.  So, I loaded up in the car, drove to Wal-Mart and bought a few gallons of "spring" water for $0.88 each.  For a few dollars and 20 minutes of my time, I ensured that my family has safe drinking water.  I have access to water 24/7 from my faucets, I own an expensive water filter and have at least 15 water bottles for bringing water with me as I go about my day.  We all do, and it's something I think we take for granted.  It's just the way our life is.  The same with access to food, shelter, and basic human rights.

Many people in our world do not have those same privileges.  We know this, but we don't have to see it every day.  Yes, it's terrible that people are starving all over the world but what are we going to eat tonight??? 

I hope you're aware of the famine going on in Africa right now.  The UN is calling it "the world's worst humanitarian disaster".  And yet, if you go to CNN or Yahoo or wherever, there's no headline about Africa.  In my search for information last night, I found out about the $10 million profit Ben Stiller made off of the house he just sold.  I also was enlightened about the unemployment rate going down a half percent and oh yes, they might have found D.B. Cooper's niece.  What a relief.  Still, no information about Africa. 

No one cares about Africa.  If it were on the news and in our sight as much as what's going on in the world of America's Got Talent, we'd have to do something about it. 

It's amazing that in situations like when the earthquake hit Haiti and the tsunami hit Japan, that's all we heard about.  We were given many opportunities to help.  It was in your face.  And that's great, because the world needed to know.  But if this famine is indeed as the UN said, "The world's worst humanitarian disaster", why isn't anyone talking about it?

As someone who is always thinking about food, I can't stand the thought of someone going without.  I know what it's like to go without.  I know how it feels to have the options for dinner be limited to PB&J or nothing.  But I've always had access to something.  The people who are suffering across Kenya, Ethiopia, and Somalia have access to nothing.

Here's my challenge to you, reader: do something.  We can't all hop across the world to go hand out rations.  But we can give financially to an organization who is doing so.  I recommend Samaritan's Purse.  If you're not familiar, they're the ones who sponsor the big shoebox drive at Christmas, "Operation Christmas Child".  But, they do so much more than that. 

I bet we could all sacrifice going out to eat this weekend, buying those new shoes, or whatever it is that is "extra" to give to those in need.  Even $10 will go a long way in Africa.  Here's a great article on Samaritan's Purse with a link for how to donate. 

Can you help?

No comments:

Post a Comment