Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Fall Baking Agenda

I know it's not quite fall [yet!] but I have already been baking lots of pumpkin treats.  Pumpkin is healthy and available year round in its canned form at my local Whole Foods and also the big Targets.  The fall season seems to be so short and then quickly melts into the Christmas season so there is a lot of baking to be done!  If I want to make everything on my list, from traditional dishes to new recipes, I have to get started early.  Thankfully, we've been blessed with below average temperatures here in the bluegrass state for the last month or so, making it easy to go ahead and transition into autumnal flavors.

It might be a bit ambitious for someone who is quickly approaching her due date, but here's my list of new pumpkin recipes that I can't wait to try:

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls from Good Life Eats

Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream from Tracey's Culinary Adventures

Pumpkin Pie Bars from Joy the Baker

Pumpkin Spice Pancakes from Joy the Baker

Pumpkin Cobbler from Mel's Kitchen Cafe

Then of course, there's the regular recipes that we must have each year.  These Sparkling Ginger Chocolate Chunk Chewies that I concocted last year are quite the hit.  Then there's the whoopie pies, pumpkin cheesecakes, pumpkin rolls, and pumpkin cookies--you'd think we'd get tired of pumpkin but we never do!  It's also time for my bundt cake obsession to creep back in.  You can read about that here, here, oh, and here.  The bundt cake is so old-fashioned and comforting, but that pan is always out to get me.  What drives me to take such risks?!  There's another catagory that I haven't even addressed yet: apples.  We'll cover that one another day.

Oh, Autumn...it really is my favorite time of the year.  Summer is over [hallelujah because I loathe it] and the last few months of the year are finally here.  I love the time from September through New Year's.  There is the promise of good food [always], cooler temperatures, more time at home, fun decorations---and HOLIDAYS!  This year is extra special because our little pumpkin will be arriving just in time for Halloween.  We are excited to share this time of year with her for the first time.  It's funny how this time last year a baby was no where on our radar.  Life's little surprises get me every time! 

What's on your baking agenda this fall?

No comments:

Post a Comment