Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Mid-Week Recipe Roundup

Happy middle of the week, friends!  Isn't it great when Monday is a holiday and then what would be your Tuesday is actually Wednesday?  I mean it's practically already Friday once we get through today, right?  I don't know about where you live, but it has been raining here since Sunday.  I love it.  I was meant to live in the northwest, I think, because I seem to thrive in lack of sunshine.  Or maybe it's just because I love an excuse to curl up with a big mug of cocoa and read.  I kind of feel guilty for doing that when it's sunny. I digress.

I tried a few recipes last weekend that I thought I'd pass along.  With all of this rain that moved in, we decided to make a big pot of white chili for Labor Day.  We made The Pioneer Woman's recipe.  I must admit, it falls a little flat in the spice department for our tastes, but you can always change that with the addition of ancho chili powder, hot sauce, or whatever lights your tongue on fire.  To go with it, I made her Skillet Cornbread.  Please don't ever buy cornbread mixes, and please, for the love of the south, make it in a cast iron skillet.
One morning for breakfast I made these Apple Pie Breakfast Cakes from Jessica, a girl after my own heart is so, so many ways. 
Please forgive the lack of natural light in this photo.  It was cloudy and I only have a point and shoot.  Someday that will all change...which reminds me, I need to go out and water my money tree.  These little cakes are really good, and actually good for you with their whole wheat flour and apples!  I added oats to boost the fiber and whole grains; also, where the recipe called for yogurt I subbed applesauce because we when I opened the forgotten yogurt container, it was m-o-l-d-y----gross. 

I also, as requested by my husband, made a version of these pumpkin cookies.  I used chocolate chips and changed up the flour a little bit.  I don't have any pictures because I think we ate them all.  But it is definitely time to start making pumpkin recipes!  I'm particularly excited to make pumpkin whoopie pies and pumpkin bread pudding.  I sure hope I feel like baking after this baby is born because I don't know if I can get it all in before!


No comments:

Post a Comment