Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Mommy Club

One of the best parts about pregnancy is the automatic induction to The Mommy Club.  All of a sudden I have an instant bond with other moms.  It's a strong bond, one not easily shaken.  As I waddle through life right now, I don't have to search hard to find a pair of understanding eyes.  When I announced my pregnancy, I was able to connect on a deeper level with friends of mine that I had lost touch with over the years as they, too, had become mommies. 

To all of you--and you know who you are--who have been honest with me about everything from cloth diapering to stool softeners to mesh panties and ice packs, THANK YOU.  Thanks for the good advice.  Thanks for not holding back.  And keep sending these little tidbits my way.  I am certain there is much I still do not know.  I will lean on you when I haven't slept in days and my hair is a hot mess.

On the flip side, it may be a bit harder to feel bonded with my childless friends.  It's hard to "come down to earth" when all that I seem to be able to focus on is this baby.  At first, I needed someone to lament to about the vomiting, weight gain, and stretch marks.  Now I'm moving on to labor expectations and what's the best carseat to purchase.  I hope I haven't been a bad friend to anyone.  I know I've been on the other side of this situation for years as my friends had babies, and I probably felt a little left out at times.  I apologize if I've alienated any one of my dear friends who have yet to take the plunge into mommyhood.  Please know that I will be here when it's your turn--to listen to you, understand your feelings, to support you and tell you everything I have learned.

This weekend three friends from different walks of my life are giving me a baby shower that is sure to be one for the record books.  I am so excited to see friends that I haven't seen even since college.  All of us have ended up in different places but I am just ecstatic to catch up.  I know not all of my dear friends can't make it because of other obligations or distance, but you'll be there in spirit.  I am so thankful to have friends who are so thoughtful to even give me this shower.  It's a blessing to be back in the state where I attended college just to be near old friends.  Thanks again, girls!

1 comment:

  1. A woman and I became quite close after my ectopic pregnancy and tube removal. She confided in me some struggles they had getting pregnant and the ups and downs of trying--it was like us against the fertile myrtles in our Sunday School class! Then, when I got pregnant with Lottie I was so excited but she was absolutely the last person I wanted to tell. I felt disloyal, like I left her behind. We didn't talk much after that but Brent and I continued to stay burdened for them and prayed for them constantly. A year ago, she had a little boy! And while things between us are more comfortable, it's never been the same. When you're in the middle of such a blessing, it's hard to remember that not everyone may feel the same way you do. But, that said, it's still such a blessing that you should have no regrets celebrating it because if it were them, they would too! And, like you said, when it's their turn, you will! Totally agree with you!

    ReplyDelete